OMG! Hi guys! Back in action this weekend at a really fun event that we wanted to share with you. If you’ve always wanted to go to Comic-Con but live in Texas and not able to travel all the way to San Diego, I have a great event that will fix all of that. It’s called “Comicpalooza” and it’s in Houston this weekend! Super important to note that if you are a #GameOfThrones fan or in particular a #Khaleesi fan like I am then you will definitely want to join us because the featured guest is Emilia Clarke! – Brandi Garcia
Here are all the deets:
THE COUNTDOWN TO COMICPALOOZA IS ON
Texas’ Largest Pop Culture Festival Celebrates Comics, Heroes and more!
HOUSTON, TX (May 9, 2019) — Comicpalooza will capture the George R. Brown Convention Center on Friday, May 10 – Sunday, May 12. Attendees will be able to explore hundreds of hours of exciting programming and entertainment across more than 1 million square feet of convention space.
Comicpalooza is a three-day, multi-format event comprised of interactive panel sessions, an expansive exhibition hall and special events. Notable highlights for the 2019 event, include:
- A premier guest lineup, featuring leading actors Emilia Clarke, Nathalie Emmanuel, Grant Gustin, Wilmer Valderrama, Dan Fogler, Gates McFadden, Michael Dorn, John Wesley Shipp, Peter Serafinowicz, Griffin Newman, Yara Martinez, Brendan Hines, Scott Speiser, Jeremy Davies, Andrew Divoff, Mira Furlan, Erick Avari and more.
- The Comicpalooza Cosplay contest is where attendees can display their unique, hand-crafted costumes and props of favorite characters from movies, TV shows, comic books, cartoons, as well as video games on Saturday, May 11. Kids can even showcase their budding cosplayer in the Kid’s Cosplay Contest on Sunday, May 12.
- More than 40 comic book creators, including legends and newcomers, alongside some of today’s most progressive comic book publishers. Dozens of comic book resellers can be found in the Exhibit Hall with additional merchants selling art, collectibles and wearables inspired by comic books. Also, more than 40 informative and fun panels are happening throughout the weekend.
- A distinguished literature lineup including Timothy Zahn, Wesley Chu, Cory Doctorow, Sam Sykes, Martha Wells, among others. Attendees will have the chance to participate in panels, fan roundtables, read and critique sessions, as well as writing workshops.
- Video gaming at Comicpalooza includes a free play PC area provided by AMD and a free play console area provided by GameStop. The Houston Outlaws return with player meet and greets, competitive game playing, giveaways and more.
New this year is the addition of ESPN’s Collegiate Esports Championship (CEC). Universities from across the country have competed in qualifiers for: Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm, Overwatch, StarCraft II, and Street Fighter V culminating with the championship during Comicpalooza.
- Tabletop Gaming includes a wide selection of scheduled gaming tournaments along with several free-to-play games provided by Dragon’s Lair. Players can test their luck and skill in good-spirited fun and friendly competitions.
- The Comicpalooza Film Festival will showcase winning, original works in various categories submitted by filmmakers from around the world. Attendees will have a chance to view the selected films throughout the three-day event as part of their admission. This year, the festival will add full length feature films including “The Matrix”, “Terminator Genisys”, and “The Texas Chainsaw Massacre” from 2003.
- Live entertainment has everything from ice sculpting with power tools to fire dance. Magicians, comedians, and dancers provide live performances throughout the weekend. After Party on the Avenida is a public concert thanks to Saint Arnold Brewing Company. This year’s featured artists include hit band Icona Pop and Calliope Musicals.
- A Live Art Charity Auction held Saturday, May 11 invites attendees to watch and bid on unique pieces of art being created during the event by visiting artists of the show. Funds raised by the silent auction will go to Fresh Arts, a charity that champions our local art community to succeed in the business of art.
- The Maker’s Space offers cosplayers, artists, engineers, mathematicians, and scientists with a stem-driven opportunity to envision, create, and build using old and new technology, from small electrical parts to towering 3D printers and Lego masterpieces. The space even has a cosplay repair station! Techland is challenging cosplayers to “Build What You Can” with provided materials in the Maker’s Space Friday, May 10.
- BBVA Compass will add a photo booth, a phone charging station, free wifi throughout the building along with onsite activities in conjunction with the Houston Dynamo that involve FIFA game play and a goal kick with prize support.
Other sponsors include Coca Cola, Papa John’s Pizza Houston, GEICO, Saint Arnold Brewing Co. Halo Outpost Discovery, Sprint, Rest & Relax, Timewise and Next Level E-Sports Bar & Gaming Club.
For the most-up-to-date information, including special guests, admission prices and schedules, visit www.comicpalooza.com.
Comicpalooza is a unique, multi-format pop culture event featuring more than 1,000 hours of diverse, interactive programming that spans across Comic Books, Gaming, Films, Anime, Cosplay, Literature, Maker’s Space, Education, Children’s Programming and Entertainment.
Twitter: @comicpalooza | Instagram: @houstoncomicpalooza | Facebook: Comicpalooza